Customer Services Director
Within salary bracket:: 70k and above
Job type:: Full-Time
Sector: Strategy, Contact Centre, Customer Services - Other
Date posted: 08/08/2012
Closing date: 30/08/2012
Due to internal restructuring, we are recruiting a Customer Services Director to lead our Customer Services’ Domestic business. Customer Services is the largest business areas within RWE npower, with c.6300 people, and its aim is to attain best in class service to our domestic and business customers at industry leading costs.
Additionally, Customer Services plays a key role in identifying and exploiting opportunities for increasing competitive advantage by improving service reliability and quality at ever lower cost. This requires optimal integration of our business processes and customer interactions with technology. It also requires a mutually supportive relationship with marketing and sales that balances product and channel development with the ease and cost of service to the benefit of both margins and costs.
Main Purpose of Job
The main Customer Service sites are in the North East (Houghton-Le-Spring, Sunderland, Peterlee and Thornaby); Yorkshire (Leeds and Hull) and the Midlands (Oldbury and Stoke).
With seven direct reports, covering Customer Service, Customer Accounts, Debt, Recruitment and Training, Development (Atlas as well as local change projects), Support and Compliance, as well as a Personal Assistant, the Head of CSD has accountability for approximately 4,800 FTE spread across the majority of sites listed above.
• Develop and implement the Customer Service Domestic (CSD) strategy in line with the requirements of the market-facing teams to ensure market and customer proposition is delivered.
• Plan and implement service delivery to ensure consistency with customer proposition.
• Deliver the service capability within the relevant cost to serve targets and agreed SLAs for product and customer groupings to ensure profitability.
• Accountable for the service delivery of customer facing service teams handling all aspects of customer contact relating to core energy products to deliver customer service targets.
• Build an effective interface with Customer Markets products and services, and Energy Services to ensure effective delivery of more complex and new risk management and Energy Services products and solutions.
• Accountable for the service delivery of ‘meter to bank’ processes for Domestic customers associated with energy supply and data management to ensure that critical performance indicators are met.
• Ensure that all back office activities are run efficiently and effectively in the provision of accurate management information, reduction of debtor days and timely and accurate billing to the Domestic customer.
• Contribute to the delivery of the Metering Services strategy to comply with service level agreements.
• Leverage customer understanding to contribute to the design and development of new products to ensure that service capability is developed.
• Incorporate new product service requirements within CSD which meet market-facing teams’ specifications and are consistent with broader CSD method of operating to meet overall product targets.
• Incorporate new customer service requirements within CSD which meet market-facing teams’ specifications and are consistent with broader CSD method of operating to meet overall customer experience targets.
• Identify change priority areas for business improvement.
• Sponsor the ongoing review of service delivery to identify opportunities for enhancement and
efficiencies, whilst balancing operational impact.
• Review recommendations and sanction implementation of change in conjunction with the Retail Change Management group.
• Develop external stakeholder relationships with appropriate bodies, for example, EnergyWatch, Ofgem, to minimise commercial and regulatory risk within Industry agreements and codes, improving the Domestic CSD external profile.
• Evaluate service delivery indicators, i.e. cost to serve and working capital performance etc to identify potential shortfall and enhancement opportunities and implement appropriate action.
• Review and approve operational and capital expenditure plans within delegated authority controls.
• Give leadership and direction to a team of operations professionals
• Set targets for, appraise, develop and review immediate reports and ensure this occurs for all departmental personnel.
• Take personal responsibility for people development across the function and be a major influence on the behaviour and culture
• Developing external stakeholder relationships with external bodies to help strengthen the Customer profile and manage risk
• Maximise knowledge sharing within and across all functions; ensuring a high degree of transparency over operations aims and activities
• Drives continuous improvement in the CSD function
Key Performance Indicators
1. Deliver SLAs and customer service targets
2. Deliver npower Domestic CSD ’Cost to’ targets, supporting delivery of overall Customer EBITDA targets
3. Deliver npower Domestic ROCE targets and contribute to overall targets
4. Achieve all Domestic Customer Billing and Cash targets
1. Define and deliver a customer service strategy that effectively balances customer requirements with operational efficiency
2. Continual identification and assessment of external best practices to identify areas of competitive advantage for npower in operations
3. Operating and leading in a matrix environment
4. Operating and leading across multi-site geographies.
5. Need to understand end to end process of customer and product management, working at maximising the operational value levers throughout customer and product lifecycle
6. The number of systems and processes along with the interface with wider npower and group systems means that control over and provision of quality information is complex.
7. Appreciation of customer numbers, channels and products plus involved pricing and costing calculations complicates provision of quality reporting.
8. Difficulty of influencing and driving change and best practice due to the detailed and complex interactions and cultural differences between Business functions
9. Influence, develop, mould and change people in order to provide outstanding internal and external customer service and a high quality skilled team.
Knowledge and Skills
• A proven track record of working in a customer service environment in a senior capacity.
• Good understanding of UK Energy Market, fundamental drivers (including regulatory requirements) enabling effective positioning of Operations in overall Retail value chain.
• Experience with contractual structure, frameworks and contract negotiation.
• Experienced in managing diverse portfolio of products and services.
• Experienced in dealing with a diverse and unionised workforce.
• Strong commercial awareness to ensure effective decision making.
• Strong general management and business skills plus a broad base of industry knowledge.
• High professional standing, able to influence external bodies for the overall benefit of the business.
Responsibility for Opex target of £183m
Responsibility for 7 direct reports
Overall responsibility for c.4800 people
Closing date: 30/08/2012